Thursday, June 11, 2009

Meet the NEW Program Director!

Happy Summer 2009!
I am very excited to be working as the new sailing school program director at WDYC for this upcoming summer. I will be a senior at Stonehill College in the Fall where I am majoring in Early Childhood Education. I have always spent my summers on Cape Cod and couldn't image being anywhere else during the best time of the year. I grew up right around the corner at Hyannis Yacht Club where I started sailing beetle cats at a very young age. I quickly fell in love with sailing and racing as I moved through the opti and 420 race program at HYC. I first began working as a junior instructor at Hyannis and then went over to Great Island Yacht Club for two summers where I worked as a senior instructor teaching opti's and 420's. Eager to get back to coaching, I went back to Hyannis from 2007-2008 where I traveled with my opti race team to regattas all over the Cape and islands. This summer I was interested in taking on a new challenge and lucky enough WDYC needed a new program director. I have heard wonderful things about the program and the fabulous sailors that result from their great instructors.

I am determined to make this a safe summer filled with sailing improvement and summer memories that will last a lifetime. I am looking forward to meeting you all throughout the next few weeks. Please don't hesitate to come introduce yourself to me! I'm looking forward to making this a successful WDYC year in sailing.

This blog will be updated daily with instructor and student reports from class, upcoming events, regatta logistics and sailing pictures. This will be a great way to check in on what is going on in sailing and find out how you can volunteeer with upcoming events. In addition to accessing this blog online, there will be a binder outside of the sailing office with the blog printed out.

Smoothe sailing,
Meghan Hartford